Buildings, Grounds & Equipment

Take home message: Any work done on U-M buildings, grounds or equipment is likely to invoke regulatory restrictions and University policy requirements – even something as simple as painting a room or replacing a floor surface. Facilities and Operations should be consulted before any work is done on U-M facilities, and they can provide you with permissions (where required) and guidance and support on how to proceed.

U-M Policy and helpful links

Things to remember

  • Even if some building work or equipment upgrade seems “minor”, there may still be legal requirements to consider. Consult with Facilities and Operations before doing any facilities upgrades or work in your area.
  • There are a number of useful checklists on the U-Manage site, that summarize U-M procedures and vendor information for some of the more common building and facilities work, such as painting, moving, interior design, flooring and security. Following these checklists can save you time and help you ensure you are carrying out building upgrades in accordance with legal requirements.
  • Departments can coordinate their various building, utilities and maintenance needs through Work Management, that serves as a single point of contact for obtaining services or work orders, and runs the Plant Operations Call Center which can be reached at (734) 647-2059.
  • U-M premises or equipment can only be leased or loaned out in consultation with Facilities and Operations, to ensure that any legal issues are properly handled; and any dealings with U-M real estate must be handled by the Real Estate Office.
  • Learn how to be an environmentally responsible steward for your building (and save energy and other costs in the process) by becoming involved in Planet Blue, reading about Sustainability at U-M (and the efforts of the Office of Campus Sustainability), and taking the time to learn about energy management and recycling efforts at U-M.

People to talk to

Facilities and Operations can answer any questions you have about buildings, grounds or equipment issues. Read about the different teams within Facilities and Operations to find a relevant contact area, or email the Office of the Assistant Vice President for Facilities and Operations for guidance.

For building, plant, utilities and maintenance needs on the Ann Arbor campus, contact the Plant Operations Call Center which can be reached at (734) 647-2059 – this Call Center serves as a single point of contact for obtaining services or work orders.

If you are on the UM-Dearborn campus, start by talking to UM-Dearborn Facilities Management. They have a number of direct contacts for different building and grounds issue areas listed on their Notes from Facilities Folks page, or you can email or call their main office on (313) 593-5270.

If you are on the UM-Flint campus, you can contact UM-Flint Facilities and Operations by calling (810) 762-3223 or by finding more specific contacts within their various service units.

For real estate sale, leasing, or access to university property (such as boundary disputes or easements), contact the Real Estate Office by calling (734) 763-2302.

For legal assistance or advice relating to building, construction or facilities compliance issues contact Ciara Comerford in the Office of the General Counsel.

Established 3/4/11, last updated 11/14/17 РContact us if you believe any information is incorrect or outdated