Safety, Security & Public Health

Take home message: Every member of the U-M community is responsible for contributing to and maintaining a safe and secure University environment – and for taking the time to understand how you should act in the event of an emergency or incident. If we all stay aware of our surroundings, look out for each other, and report any concerns we have, our campus will remain a safe and secure place to work and study.

U-M Policy and helpful links

  • The U-M Department of Public Safety (DPS) serves as U-M’s campus police. DPS is a full service law enforcement agency, with the authority and responsibility to investigate, search, arrest and use reasonable force as necessary to protect persons and property, and to enforce the laws of the State of Michigan and the Ordinance of the Regents of the University of Michigan. The latest security information, including crime alerts and daily crime briefings, can be viewed on the DPS Web site. (See also UM-Flint Department of Public Safety, and UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety).
  • Report any concerns you may have – as individual members of the University community, it is important for us to act immediately in suspected cases of abuse or other crimes, or in circumstances where you find yourself either a victim or a witness to questionable activity. To report questionable activities or seek emergency assistance, see the contacts below.
  • Safety related to your work or carrying out your U-M role is managed by the Department of Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS). (For more information, including Flint and Dearborn links, see the separate compliance resource page on EHS).
  • Alcohol and drugs – U-M strives to maintain a campus community free of adverse effects from the misuse and abuse of alcohol and other drugs. U-M is required, by law, to have a policy on alcohol and drugs. The misuse and abuse of substances poses a host of potential medical, behavioral and social problems that can affect our community.
  • Working with minors – anyone at U-M who works with children should be aware of his or her responsibility to act immediately in suspected cases of abuse or other questionable activity surrounding children in the University’s care. The Michigan Child Protection Law requires certain child care professionals to report suspected child abuse and neglect to the Department of Human Services. Even those U-M employees who are not mandated reporters under the law should report any suspected abuse to the U-M Department of Public Safety, through the contacts below. Taking action might be difficult or uncomfortable or inconvenient; but the alternative – delaying action or taking no action – puts the welfare of others at risk.
  • Like all federally funded university and colleges, U-M is required to keep and disclose certain information related to crime on campus, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the Clery Act). U-M’s Clery Act disclosures for Ann Arbor are collated through the annual publication by DPS of th U-M Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report e(see also the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint security and fire safety reports under the Clery Act). This document also serves as an excellent resource for every member of the U-M community on a range of campus safety issues – including emergency services, safety tips, University policies and state laws, fire safety in on-campus housing, confidential crime reporting, missing student notification protocol, and summary of the Statement of Student Rights & Responsibilities.
  • For faculty and instructional staff – there is also a summary of campus health and safety issues in the Faculty Handbook, and the Provost maintains a page on Classroom Safety for Instructors [login required], that includes a range of safety and emergency resources.
  • The Office of Emergency Preparedness provides resources, guidance, and training to the U-M community in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery. The Emergency Procedures Flipchart gives an overview of how to respond to various emergency situations. (See also the UM-Dearborn Emergency Management & Preparedness page and UM-Flint Emergency Preparedness and Response page).
  • There are a range of public and community health issues that have the potential to affect U-M employees during their work activities, including food safety and diseases. See EHS’ community health pages for more information.
  • The Michigan Center for Public Health Preparedness (MI-CPHP), housed within the U-M School of Public Health, has collated a number of training modules and publications that may be of interest to those wanting to learn more about how to get prepared for public health emergencies, such as bioterrorism, epidemics or pandemics.

Things to remember

  • If you require emergency assistance or believe a crime is in progress, dial 9-1-1 – this will connect you directly with the Department of Public Safety (DPS), the campus police.
  • If you observe or witness something that could represent a threat to students or employees, you should dial 9-1-1 and report it to DPS – they may need to issue a warning to the campus.
  • Familiarize yourself with U-M’s Emergency Procedures Flipchart: you never know when an emergency or disaster situation could strike, and it helps to think through how you might handle such a situation before it occurs. If you teach students, see also the Provost’s page on Classroom Safety for Instructors [login required].
  • If you are travelling overseas, particularly to an area where your safety may be jeopardized, be sure to familiarize yourself with the travel planning resources on the Global Michigan site, especially the U-M Travel Policy; and register your trip on the International Travel Registry. (For more information, see the resource page on Travel).
  • If any kind of criminal behavior occurs in your local unit or department, you should report it to DPS as soon as possible – it may be something that we are expected to report on under the Clery Act or through some other legal requirement.
  • U-M can suffer serious consequences for breaching the Clery Act (which requires us to disclose certain information and statistics about crimes on campus) – most notably, we could be fined or face losing our eligibility to participate in Federal financial aid programs.
  • The Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report is a great resource for general information about campus safety, security and emergency services. Updated annually, this document succinctly summarizes U-M’s policies/procedures and state laws relating to safety and security issues.

People to talk to

If you require emergency assistance (police, fire, OR medical emergency), believe a crime is in progress on campus, or observe something that could represent a threat to yourself or others – DIAL 9-1-1 to reach the Department of Public Safety (DPS).

If you want to schedule an active shooter response training presentation contact Division of Public Safety and Security Outreach at University of Michigan.

For non-emergencies, such as the routine reporting of criminal behavior, or general questions about safety and security, call the Department of Public Safety at (734) 763-113. DPS professionals can help assess the situation and determine what other notification or action is necessary. Information on potential criminal activity may also be reported anonymously by calling the University’s Anonymous Tip Line at 1-800-863-1355.

For UM-Flint campus, refer to the UM-Flint Department of Public Safety page; and for UM-Dearborn campus, refer to the UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety.

If you have questions about safety related to facilities, hazardous activities, or your work, contact the Department of Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS). See the separate compliance resource page on OSEH for more specific information and contacts (including Dearborn and Flint contacts).

For legal assistance or advice relating to public safety issues, contact Dave Masson in the Office of the General Counsel. For legal questions relating more specifically to public health reporting or issues, contact the Health System Legal Office.

Established 3/4/11, last updated 11/14/17 – Contact us if you believe any information is incorrect or outdated.