Parking & Transportation

Take home message: If you use a University vehicle, or park in University permit areas, you should make sure you understand the rules and regulations that apply.

U-M Policy and helpful links

  • Parking & Transportation Services (within Facilities and Operations) oversees parking & transportation at U-M, including buses, van pooling, parking permits, visitor parking, patient parking, and University vehicle leasing. Residence hall parking and permits are managed by University Housing.
  • If you ride the bus, you must comply with any signs posted or directions given by the driver, for your own safety and the safety of others.
  • U-M bus drivers (transit coach operators) must undergo driving and safety training, and federally mandated drug and alcohol testing. More information about the requirements is available on the Student Bus Driver Information page.
  • All University vehicles are acquired and disposed of by Parking & Transportation Services (PTS), including those obtained by departments as gifts or under research grants. It is not permissible for a department to acquire a vehicle independent of PTS.
  • U-M fleet vehicles can only be driven by faculty, staff or students, who are at least 18 years of age and properly licensed in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. Supervisors or authorized department representatives are responsible for periodically checking the driving record of those who routinely drive a University vehicle, at least once a year: see the Fleet Services page for more information.
  • Any accidents involving U-M fleet vehicles (including buses) must be reported, to satisfy the University’s insurance requirements. This can be done by completing an Accident Report form and submitting it to Fleet Services.
  • Servicing and maintenance of U-M fleet vehicles is managed by the Transportation Services Garage, and all repairs must be completed or specifically authorized by them.
  • Maintenance and insurance of U-M fleet vehicles is explained on the Parking & Transportation Services website.
  • Smoking is prohibited inside U-M vehicles, per Standard Practice Guide (SPG) 601.04.
  • Permit parking zones are enforced across the U-M campuses. See the Introduction to Permit Parking for more information, as well as the U-M Parking rules and regulations. For parking lots near residence halls, see the Residence Hall Parking page.

Things to remember

  • If an accident occurs with a University vehicle (including buses), U-M Public Safety or the local police must be notified immediately. You must also complete and submit an Accident Report form, which you can find located in the glove box of the U-M vehicle, or download. If you don’t fill out the required forms, U-M’s insurance claim may be jeopardized and your department could be billed for all damage to the car!
  • Departments must periodically check the driving record of people who routinely drive their University vehicles, which includes checking their license status at least once a year. See the Fleet Services page for more information.
  • Student drivers of U-M vehicles must be specifically authorized by a dean, director or department head to use a University vehicle.
  • U-M runs frequent, regular, free buses around and between the Ann Arbor campuses. If you are new to the blue buses, check out Bus Riding 101 for a quick overview.
  • Think about car or van pooling to reduce the financial and environmental costs of driving every day: use U-M Van Pools to find people who live near you, and have similar work schedules, to pool with.

People to talk to

For questions relating to parking and transportation issues, contact Parking & Transportation Services – they maintain a list of contact numbers for different types of queries, ranging from reporting defective parking meters to calling lost and found.

For questions specifically about University fleet vehicles, or to report incidents or accidents involving U-M vehicles, contact Fleet Services by emailing them or calling (734) 764-3427.

For legal assistance or advice relating to parking and transportation issues, contact Ciara Comerford in the Office of the General Counsel.

Established 3/4/11, last updated 3/7/17 – Contact us if you believe any information is incorrect or outdated